I am a working mom of 4 kids. To say life is crazy, well yes – it is. I took a leave 3 years ago and left corporate America to be home with my kids. During that time I worked at home, but for myself. Last spring, I accepted a job back in corporate America and here we are.
Returning to the Work Force
Over the last several months, there have been many lessons learned in trying to balance work and life. Fortunately, I have a job that allows me to work at home a few days a week – though I do put in on average 50 hours a week. I’ve learned for me, there is no work life balance, it’s a working life.
- I am the mom who has her laptop in the doctor’s office while her kid is getting strep tested.
- I am the mom who throws her kid a pop tart before he gets on the bus so that he will have eaten breakfast.
- I am the mom who has to leave a meeting to answer the frantic phone call from my kid who is locked out of the house.
- I am the mom who is on email at 11 pm and 6 am – but focused on family from 7 am – 9 am and 5 pm – 8pm.
- I am the mom who makes lunches a week ahead (one week, then the next week – it’s SCHOOL LUNCHES FOR ALL!)
Nope, not perfect – but are any of us? I am trying and it works most of the time.
According to Pew Research, 63% of moms now work, 46% full-time and 17% part-time. So I know there are a lot more working moms out there, and many more that are contemplating jumping back into the work force.
Working Mom Tips
Raising them kids is never easy, throw a full or part-time job into the mix, you have even more chaos! Stay tuned. Each week we will be bringing you a series specifically for moms who work. We will feature tips and tricks that have helped me adjust back into the working mom life – and since I surely don’t know it all – I will also some feature thoughts from other mothers who are juggling kids, a career and family. Want to contribute about your experience as a working mom? Drop me a line at email@example.com